At their meeting on August 3, 2022, the City Council of Cathedral City voted to place a local funding measure (Measure K) for parks and recreation on the November 2022 ballot.
If approved by voters, this measure would cost property owners 15-cents per building square foot annually on single-family residential units to allow Cathedral City and the Desert Recreation District (DRD) to:
- Provide safe and clean parks, playgrounds, and recreational facilities in Cathedral City
- Maintain and improve neighborhood park safety
- Maintain safe drinking water and improve water conservation
- Enhance youth drug and gang prevention programs
- Provide affordable after-school and senior programs
- Address homelessness in local parks
A local funding measure for Cathedral City parks and recreation would require strict fiscal accountability protections, including:
- Every penny must stay in Cathedral City for parks and recreation only
- No funds could be used for administrator salaries or pensions
- An independent citizens’ oversight committee, annual audits and public disclosure of spending would be required
- No funds could be taken away by the State
- Election Date: Nov. 8, 2022
- Ballots mailed to voters: Oct. 10, 2022
- Not registered to vote? Visit registertovote.ca.gov.
- Need more information about voting? Contact the Riverside County Registrar of Voters at (951) 486-7200 or email@example.com. Information is also available online at voteinfo.net.
For more information, including Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), please visit https://www.cathedralcity.gov/government/plan-for-recreation-services-in-cathedral-city.