Today and possibly tomorrow, California Independent System Operator (CAISO) needs you to use electricity earlier in the day and reduce your usage starting at 5:00 pm this evening through 10:00 pm.
The following are ways you can help to conserve energy and prevent the outages:
Between 5 p.m. and 10 p.m., the ISO is urging consumers to:
- Set air conditioning thermostats to 78 degrees, if health permits.
- Defer use of major appliances.
- Turn off unnecessary lights.
- Unplug unused electrical devices.
- Close blinds and drapes.
- Use fans when possible.
- Limit time the refrigerator door is open.
Consumers can also take steps to prepare for the Flex Alert by doing the following before 5 p.m.:
- “Pre-cool” their homes, or lower air conditioning thermostats to 72 degrees.
- Charge electric vehicles.
- Charge mobile devices and laptops.
- Run dishwashers, washing machines and other major appliances.
- Set pool pumps to run in the early morning or late at night.
For information on Flex Alerts, and to get more electricity conservation tips, visit the ISO’s Flex Alert website at http://www.flexalert.org
Follow grid conditions in real time at ISO’s Outlook at http://www.caiso.com/TodaysOutlook/Pages/default.aspx